APA Telepsychology 101 Webinar Series
APA is hosting APA Telepsychology 101 Webinar Series for the following schedules.
This is a virtual event, accessible online and over the phone. Access instructions will be provided after registration.
Date/Time: Oct 30 2019, 2PM EDT
Choosing technology for telepractice can be complex. Knowing how to think about, select, set up and use technology can be vital to success. Video, email, text-messaging, and app selection issues will be outlined in order to help the psychologist conduct a focused needs assessment of telepractice goals and ojectives. The webinar will cover related competencies, such as how to assess and document realistic patient needs, abilities and preferences; ask the right questions of HIPAA-compliant vendors; prevent telepractice burnout; find supportive communities and resources, and more.
- Identify at least five telepsychology issues regulated by state boards.
- Identify which of the many technologies used today meets HIPAA, HITECH and PIPEDA requirements.
- Identify the legal issues most often violated by psychologists who choose to work for text-only online companies.
Date/Time: Nov 6 2019, 2:00 PM EST
Legal and ethical telehealth is available to millions of Americans. Key legal, regulatory and ethical issues are reviewed with a focus on essential, practical and successful telepsychology. APA and other relevant standards and guidelines are outlined. Telebehavioral interprofessional competencies are identified. Issues included are informed consent, HIPAA, HITECH, privacy and confidentiality (including conducting Google searches), text messaging, email, working with integrated teams, providing telesupervision and working over state borders both nationally and internationally through PSYPACT and other approaches. Additional resources are also provided.
- Discuss at least three primary legal concerns to be addressed before starting a telepsychology practice.
- Name the various groups who define if and how you can legally practice over state lines.
- Identify a free, federally funded resource to help you identify current and future state laws related to interjurisdictional practice.
Telepsychology Best Practices 101: Getting Paid: Reimbursement Strategies & Marketing Your Professional Services Online – Segment #4
Date/Time: Nov 13 2019, 2:00 PM EST
In late 2018, the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) reported that 85% of all reimbursement for telehealth was paid to telebehavioral health practitioners. Third-party carriers also pay for telehealth in most US states. Professionals seeking proven telepsychology reimbursement strategies will benefit from understanding how to use common telehealth-related CPT and modifier codes for assessment as well as treatment. They will be exposed to recent CPT code additions for remote patient monitoring, virtual assistants, and interprofessional collaboration. This webinar will describe how to use several federally-funded telehealth resources to get not only set-up, but network geographically to maximize income potential.
Those wishing to improve their online marketing strategies will learn several effective and ethical strategies as well as what to avoid. Web development suggestions and social media strategies designed to minimize risk and maximize exposure will be described. Examples are drawn from real-life marketing campaigns in telepsychology to illustrate adherence to legal and ethical requirements.
- Name the two most important CPT code modifiers required for telepsychology reimbursement.
- Describe a legal and ethical strategy to marketing one’s professional practice in social media.
- Identify which of the technologies (video, email, text messaging, phone) used today is preferred by reimbursement sources (federal, state and third-party carriers) and why.