Vote Jean Lau Chin for APA President if you are looking for technology-minded leadership at the APA, Dr. Jean Lau Chin is the Presidential candidate to consider!
Dr. Chin has been a staunch advocate for the responsible use of technology for more than two decades. She is aware of and concerned about many of the central issues facing telepsychologists.
Please read her statement below and take a few minutes to vote for her when ballots are released by the APA on September 15, 2008.
— Marlene M. Maheu, PhD
The growth in technology has been a curse or a godsend. Will technology replace us? We cannot deny its existence. We must learn to harness technology for psychological good, and manage technology before it manages us.
- How do we encourage psychologists to be at the cutting edge of technology instead of trailing behind and being reactive? We can do our work better.
- We can improve our communication across geographic distances while maintaining interpersonal connections using technology to enhance rather than supplant
- Teletherapy has expanded access to care; however, there is the good and bad. Few guidelines for ethical and quality practice exist leaving open concerns about privacy, ethics, and quality
- Social media is now our shorthand communication, especially among our younger colleagues. Some bemoan their superficial, 30-second blitz. Others extol its rapid and immediate connection to many. Can we come together to address the dilemma?
- We are increasingly dependent on technology to manage our work; new technologies emerge every day. How do we ensure that technology is used to do psychological good?
Leadership for Change: Integration Amidst Diversity
Leadership Experience as Practitioner, Scientist, Researcher, Academic, Dean, Executive Director
Join TBHI in supporting Jean Lau Chin for APA President – Ballots come out September 15
(Please forward this page to your colleagues to garner their support as well. Let’s finally make a difference at APA!)