Social Media and HIPAA Compliance: Protecting Your Practice in the Digital Age
1 CE Hour Available
Managing social media use and HIPAA compliance can lead to some of the most common misunderstandings faced by Healthcare providers. Improperly trained employees can expose your organization to HIPAA violations and costly fines!
Whether your practice is using Facebook to attract new clients, or your employees are posting about their workday on Twitter, improper use of social media can lead to major HIPAA violations. Especially now that smartphones and access to apps like Instagram and Snapchat are on the rise, more of these violations have been making the headlines than ever before.
The question becomes: How can your business use social media without violating HIPAA privacy and security requirements?
In this webinar we outlined exactly how to protect your business by managing how your employees use social media. You’ll get concrete examples of how to create effective policies surrounding uses of phones and social media around the office, as well as real life examples of HIPAA breaches that have occurred as a result of improper social media usage.
Webinar Event Details: Social Media and HIPAA Compliance
Participant will be able to:
- List at lease three ways to market on social media without violating HIPAA
- Intelligently discuss how to avoid HIPAA breaches through improper disclosure on social media
- At least two things to cover when training your staff or employees in the use of HIPAA compliant strategies to use social media
- Identify at least four factors related to best practices for answering, addressing, and interacting with patients on social media
- Describe at least one method for increasing patient engagement via social media without disclosing Protected Health Information (PHI)
Dr. Maheu is a specialist in telebehavioral health practice and has been an industry leader in telebehavioral health since 1994. With four textbooks, dozens of book chapters and journal articles to her name, as well as having educated more than 20,000 clinicians, she is in a unique position to guide you or your organization in finding a maximally profitable niche in this rapidly expanding market. She is a master at getting to the point and answering your questions with clear, actionable, evidence-based suggestions both quickly and accurately.
Marc Haskelson is the President and CEO of Compliancy Group. He has over 25 years of sales, marketing, compliance and operational leadership experience, and has held executive positions at Hearst Publications, Experian, and AT&T. He is an innovator who develops new products and solutions to address the challenges of the small and midsize market. Marc is the Chair of the CompTIA Business Applications Advisory Council and is a Visionary Level Contributor to the American Optometric Association Political Action Committee. He focuses his knowledge of compliance, technology, security, customer care, and payment processing on improving market inefficiencies.
This program is for beginning and intermediate-level “telepractitioners” and “telesupervisors” wishing to deliver telebehavioral health services in these disciplines:
- Psychiatrists, Internists, Pediatricians, Gerontologists, Nurses, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners
- Psychologists, Counselors, Social Workers, Therapists, Marriage & Family Therapists
- Speech Pathologists, Dietitians, Occupational Therapists, Behavioral Analysts, Substance Use Professionals
- CEOs, COOs, Administrators, Billing & Coding Staff