While Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement is available for telehealth and telemedicine, resources to help us access this information are not well organized or easily accessible online yet. I’ve compiled these sources, and am happy to post the ones I’ve found here, but please add to them by commenting below if you can.
Telehealth & Telemedicine Reimbursement Resources
- The Telemedicine Reimbursement Handbook, published by the California Telemedicine & eHealth Center, explains federal & state regulations regarding telehealth reimbursement. Obtain your copy by signing up for our newsletter. It will be attached to the “welcome” email that you are sent. Then see P. 55, Appendix B – Listing of CPT Codes by Payer at Telemedicine Reimbursement Handbook.
- The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) proposed a change to the policy concerning the Physician Fee Schedule payment reimbursement for telehealth providers.
- The above fee schedule was changed in November of 2012, and now covers additional codes. See a list of previous procedures and now new codes covered by reading an archived article in our newsletter here.
- The American Telemedicine Association (ATA)’s State Telemedicine Policy Center offers a state-by-state breakdown about telemedicine policies.
These next links include a variety of journal and media articles that may be of interest:
- Can Telehealth Reduce Costs? by Elizabeth S. Roop, For The Record, Vol. 23 No. 22 P. 14
- In April 2012’s Psychiatric Services, Linda Godleski, M.D., Adam Darkins, M.D., M.P.H. & John Peters, M.S. reported clinical outcomes of the largest assessment in telemental health in the Veterans Administration.
Want a CE Course?
For full details and applications to mental health in particular, see this online Reimbursement Strategies: Increasing Authorization & Payment course for 3 CE units through the TeleMental Health Institute. It is also available at a discounted price as part of our packaged Certificate Program.