202 – Legal/Ethical Issues II: Best Practices & Informed Consent
6 CE Hours Available * This course qualifies for Legal & Ethical CE Hours.
This training course is offered 24/7, available complete at your own pace (anytime within 6 months from registration date)
Best practice guidelines are reviewed from a number of different associations and perspectives to help you understand their practical implementation in working online with coaching and mental health clients.
Settings, patient education, verbal agreements, dealing with family members, authentication, practice management, record keeping, HIPAA compliance, emergency backup and other fundamental issues will be covered, helping you to equip yourself to start practicing. This course then, involves a detailed review of various “Best Practices” documents (or similar papers) issued for telehealth, telemedicine, telemental health, telepsychology and online counseling. After a more extensive discussion of informed consent and its specific language, you will also receive an “informed consent” template that you can bring to your own legal counsel for review. This invaluable tool is a unique feature of the Telebehavioral Health Institute and we are proud to help you get started quickly by making it available to you!
Event Details: 202: Legal/Ethical Issues II: Best Practices & Informed Consent
- Where: 100% Online
- When: Available 24/7 to review anytime for 6 months from registration date
- Name the 7 components of online ethics that address the novel risks, legal issues and the very difficult emerging issues of “standards of care” when using the psychotechnologies
- Describe 1 ethical precept related to emergencies in distance work
- Contrast standard of care and ethical standards
- Outline current legal considerations concerning cross-border practice across state and international boundaries
- List 3 common “standards of care” in telemental health
- Explain the difference between “practice guidelines” and “treatment guidelines”
- Outline 3 elements of proper documentation of telemental health services
- Discuss the statement that, “All current in-person legal and ethical mandates apply online.”
- Explain “online presence” and how to protect one’s online reputation
Dr. Maheu has been a leader in telemental health since 1994. With four textbooks, dozens of book chapters and journal articles to her name, as well as having educated more than 15,000 clinicians, she is in a unique position to guide you or your organization in finding a maximally profitable niche in this rapidly expanding market. She is a master at getting to the point and answering your questions with clear, actionable, evidence-based suggestions that will move you to your goal both quickly and accurately.
Dr. Pulier has been a Board Certified psychiatrist since the early 1970s and has worked as a clinician, researcher, administrator and teacher. He was the Medical Psychiatric Director for a multi-state managed care division of PruCare and co-founded and co-directed a private multidisciplinary mental health clinic tailored for managed care needs. He designed and constructed a novel affordable computer-controlled all-electronic tachistoscope and served as PhD thesis adviser for a Fairleigh Dickenson University graduate student using this instrument to investigate backward masking phenomena in schizophrenia.
Joseph P. McMenamin, MD JD is a physician-turned-lawyer who assists telehealth practitioners to recognize and diminish legal risks.
This program is for beginning and intermediate-level “telepractitioners” and “telesupervisors” wishing to deliver telemental health services in these disciplines:
- Psychiatrists, Internists, Pediatricians, Gerontologists, Nurses, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners
- Psychologists, Counselors, Social Workers, Therapists, Marriage & Family Therapists
- Speech Pathologists, Dietitians, Occupational Therapists, Behavioral Analysts, Substance Use Professionals
- CEOs, COOs, Administrators, Billing & Coding Staff
- Access to the power and interactivity of the most cutting-edge technology available today for learning (login is required)
- All materials are included with this course
- Ability to take your post-test and course evaluation online
- Printable course completion certificate for your licensing board
- Access to TBHI Community Forum to ask related questions
- Full customer support
- 100% money-back guarantee for 30 days!
- This program is approved for 6 CE Hours, applicable toward state requirements for Legal/Ethical Continuing Education. TBHI is approved by several CE-approval providing groups to sponsor CE Hours. Please review our provider information at telehealth.org/continuing-education. (We recommend you confirm with your licensing board that they accept our CE provider status. If you have any questions, please contact us.)