201 – Telehealth Best Practices: Legal/Ethical Risk Management I (w/ HIPAA, Privacy)
3 CE Hours Available * This course qualifies for Legal & Ethical CE Hours.
This training course is offered 24/7, available complete at your own pace (anytime within 6 months from registration date)
This course begins as an in depth review of what’s happening with both mental health care and coaching online. Relevant rules, regulations and risk management strategies are then reviewed to develop solutions for common problems and dilemmas that can be worrisome to both licensed and unlicensed practitioners online. Licensing requirements are examined from multiple perspectives.
- Licensure Portability Across State Lines
- Intakes, Psychological Testing and Assessment
- Ethical Foundations & Standards
- Privacy & Security Protections (HIPPA in the United States, PIPEDA in Canada, etc.)
- Giving and Getting Referrals for Telepractice
Course Details: 201 – Telehealth Best Practices: Legal/Ethical Risk Management I (w/ HIPAA, Privacy)
- Where: 100% Online
- When: Available 24/7 to review anytime for 6 months from registration date
- Discuss the special relevance of HIPAA to telemental health care
- Discuss two ethical standards that might be violated by online psychological testing
- Describe how to best take advantage of the special protections given to “psychotherapy notes.”
- Identify 1 way a colleague receiving your referral can inadvertently put you at risk
- Explain the documentation you need to get from vendors selling you telemental health equipment
- Define privacy, confidentiality & security as they each pertain to telemental health care
- Describe licensure issues regarding providing telemental health care across state boundaries
- Explain whether or not video needs to be HIPAA compliant
- Describe which ethical code issue comes into question when professionals use 5-star rating systems on websites
- Discuss how to think about selecting legal counsel for telehealth work
- Explain how initial contact by email with a new prospective patient can be hazardous
- Name one way you can unwittingly void your malpractice liability insurance coverage with online practice
Dr. Maheu has been a leader in telemental health since 1994. With four textbooks, dozens of book chapters and journal articles to her name, as well as having educated more than 15,000 clinicians, she is in a unique position to guide you or your organization in finding a maximally profitable niche in this rapidly expanding market. She is a master at getting to the point and answering your questions with clear, actionable, evidence-based suggestions that will move you to your goal both quickly and accurately.
Dr. Pulier has been a Board Certified psychiatrist since the early 1970s and has worked as a clinician, researcher, administrator and teacher. He was the Medical Psychiatric Director for a multi-state managed care division of PruCare and co-founded and co-directed a private multidisciplinary mental health clinic tailored for managed care needs. He designed and constructed a novel affordable computer-controlled all-electronic tachistoscope and served as PhD thesis adviser for a Fairleigh Dickenson University graduate student using this instrument to investigate backward masking phenomena in schizophrenia.
Joseph P. McMenamin, MD JD is a physician-turned-lawyer who assists telehealth practitioners to recognize and diminish legal risks.
This program is for beginning and intermediate-level “telepractitioners” and “telesupervisors” wishing to deliver telemental health services in these disciplines:
- Psychiatrists, Internists, Pediatricians, Gerontologists, Nurses, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners
- Psychologists, Counselors, Social Workers, Therapists, Marriage & Family Therapists
- Speech Pathologists, Dietitians, Occupational Therapists, Behavioral Analysts, Substance Use Professionals
- CEOs, COOs, Administrators, Billing & Coding Staff
- Access to the power and interactivity of the most cutting-edge technology available today for learning (login is required)
- All materials are included with this course
- All Learners must pass the post-tests at a rate of 80% or higher. The post-test(s) can be taken as often as needed within the paid access period
- Printable course completion certificate for your licensing board
- Access to TBHI Community Forum to ask related questions
- Full customer support
- 100% money-back guarantee for 30 days!
- This program is approved for 3 CE Hours, applicable toward state requirements for Legal/Ethical Continuing Education. TBHI is approved by several CE-approval providing groups to sponsor CE Hours. Please review our provider information at telehealth.org/continuing-education. (We recommend you confirm with your licensing board that they accept our CE provider status. If you have any questions, please contact us.)