In June of 2019, the quarterly peer-reviewed medical journal known as Psychiatric Clinics of America published an article authored by Kenneth P. Drude, PhD., Marlene Maheu, PhD., Donald M. Hilty, MD, MBA. The journal covers psychiatry and patient management. This writing team has been researching and publishing together for several years.
Key Points of “Continuing Professional Development Reflections on a Lifelong Learning Process”
Professionals interested in the team’s most recent publication in Psychiatric Clinics of America will find that it addresses these three key points:
- Self-directed continuing professional development is a key lifelong responsibility of health practitioners to maintain competencies requiring ongoing performance review and self-assessment.
- The creation and use of an individualized continuing professional development plan with specific goals and identified resources and actions to meet them are critical to meaningful continuing education.
- Several evidence-based methods for self-assessing continuing professional development are identified and discussed.
- It will be released publically soon.
History of this Article’s Writing Team
In addition to a number of independent articles, the same writing team has produced the following articles, many of which are related to professional development:
- Hilty, D.M., Randhawa, K., Maheu, M.M., Drude, K.P., Pantera, R. (in press). Quality telepractice and the therapeutic relationship: Learning from virtual reality, augmented reality and telepresence. Academic Psychiatry.
- Maheu, M.M., Hilty, D. M., Drude, K.P., Hertlein, K.M. (2018). A framework for telebehavioral health competencies across professions: Process, outcome and practice considerations in a complex era of healthcare. Academic Psychiatry.
- Glueckauf, Robert L.; Maheu, Marlene M.; Drude, Kenneth P.; Wells, Brittny A.; Wang, Yuxia; Gustafson, David J.; Nelson, Eve-Lynn. Survey of psychologists’ telebehavioral health practices: Technology use, ethical issues, and training needs. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, Vol 49(3), Jun 2018, 205-219.
- Maheu M. M., Drude, K., Hertlein K., Lipshutz, R., Wall, K., Long, R., Hilty D. M., (2017). An Interprofessional Framework for Telebehavioral Health Competencies. Journal for Technology in Behavioral Science, 1(4).
- Hilty D. M., Maheu M. M., Drude, K., Wall, K., Long R, Hertlein K, Luoma, T. (2017). The Need for Telebehavioral Health Competencies: An Approach Based on Competency Frameworks And Common Themes Across Fields. Journal for Technology in Behavioral Science, 1(1).
- Maheu, M., Drude, K. & Wright, S. (2017). Field guide to evidence-based, technology careers in behavioral health: Professional opportunities for the 21st Century. New York: Springer.
- Shore, J. H., Mishkind, M. C., Bernard, J., Doarn, C. R., Bell, I. Jr., Bhatla, R.,… Maheu, M. M., … Vo, A. (2014). A lexicon of assessment and outcome measures for telemental health. Telemedicine and e-Health, 20, 282-292. doi:10.1089/tmj.2013.0357
- Turvey, C., Coleman, M. Dennison, O., Drude, K., Goldenson, M., Hirsch, P.,… Maheu, M. (2013). Telemedicine and e-Health. 19(9), 722-730. doi:10.1089/tmj.2013.9989.
- Duncan, A., Nelson, E., Maheu, M., Glueckauf, R., Drude, K., & Gustafson, D. (2013). Technology training in psychology internships. Poster presented at the Association of Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies, Nashville, TN.
Also, in 2017, Maheu, Drude and Hilty were joined by two other colleagues to write a telehealth best practices book for Cognella Academic Publishing. Dr. Joanne Callan, PhD and Crystal Merrill, LCSW have been working with the team for the last two years to develop a manuscript focused on graduate education based on the telebehavioral health competencies identified in “An Interprofessional Framework for Telebehavioral Health Competencies”. The book is accompanied by digitized materials for faculty members to use in the classroom. The book will be published in early 2020.
Mastering Telehealth Billing Guidelines 2024: A Blueprint for Success
In this comprehensive 1.5-hour program, you’ll navigate the evolving landscape of telehealth billing, ensuring you stay updated on essential topics like CPT and modifier codes, Medicare reimbursement, digital therapeutics, and more.
BCTP®-III Telehealth Training & Certificate
Join the elite professionals who have immersed themselves in the depths of telehealth training, obtained monthly group consultation to tailor their learning to their needs, and earned the coveted BCTP®-III distinction!
Marketing Your Telehealth Services: Successful, Legal & Ethical Online Strategies
This high-energy, HYBRID training workshop will give you step-by-step instructions for legally and ethically marketing your telehealth services. Taking a deep dive into five of the most successful digital marketing strategies available today, this program provides the nuts and bolts of developing your marketing plan to maximize opportunities for success with your online service delivery.