Marlene M. Maheu, PhD
Dr. Marlene Maheu is a telehealth pioneer, publisher, consultant, author, trainer, and founder of Telehealth.org, LLC. Catering to the often unspoken needs of her direct audience of more than 7,000,000+ professionals who read one or more of the company’s 57 telehealth newsletters annually, she has personally written more than 1,250 telehealth blog posts.
Engendering the support of many mentors for her visionary work, she has written five peer-reviewed telehealth textbooks and more than 60 telehealth-related book chapters and journal articles and is known for many “firsts:”
- Dr. Maheu was the first to offer a mental health service online without corporate sponsorship. The online resource for consumer mental health information was known as Self Help Magazine (SHPM), and served millions of people worldwide.
- She received the first grant from NIMH to showcase digital mental health at President Clinton’s Second Inauguration in Washington DC.
- In 1995, Dr. Maheu chaired the first Telehealth-related Task Force at the APA.
- In 1998, she was appointed to a 3-year term on APA’s Committee for Professional Practice Standards (COPPS) as its first “telehealth lead.”
- She has since served on more than a dozen task forces and committees related to telehealth in a variety of national and state associations.
- Since 1995, she was the first psychologist to offer telepsychology-related in-person training. Her webinar, conference panel presentations, symposia, workshops, and now, certificate program audiences have now held more than 96,000 practitioners.
- She was the first psychologist to be the lead author of an article about psychologist’s awareness of legal and ethical mandates related to the use of technology in clinical practice published in a psychology journal (Psychological Research and Practice, 2000).
- She was the first psychologist to be the lead author of a telehealth academic and professional book.
- She was the first psychologist to be the lead author of a telehealth handbook specializing in mental health.
- She was the first psychologist to offer professional training programs 100% online with APA as well as ASWB, NBCC and NAADAC CE approval.
- Currently, she’s the Executive Director of the Telebehavioral Health Institute (TBHI), offering the first post-graduate CE professional Certificate Training Programs expanding telepsychology to an interprofessional focus on telebehavioral health. This program has now served thousands of professionals from 65 countries.
- She is the first psychologist to offer telebehavioral health consultation to traditional behavioral health care groups and academic institutions seeking to develop competency-based telehealth services, as well as international hardware and software companies entering the behavioral arena.
- She was the first to spearhead efforts to start a technology-focused division at the American Psychological Association and the American Counseling Association. While these valiant efforts were unable to penetrate the “establishment” at these associations, her efforts did draw the attention of the professional community to the need to systematically address telehealth & technology with an evidence base.
- She obtained the contract and co-authored the APA’s first book for telemental health best practices.
Maheu is the lead author on the first textbook based on published telebehavioral health competencies for graduate schools seeking to offer telehealth coursework to graduate students. With Cognella as the publisher, she developed this profession’s textbook along with the first digitized graduate course modules for graduate schools through their eLearning environment.
- Maheu is now the President and CEO of the Coalition for Technology in Behavioral Science (CTiBS) since its inception. She founded the first such interprofessional group and has shepherded its growth since 2011.
- She is the Founder of the first interprofessional, international journal advocating for the responsible use of technology in behavioral health, the Journal for Technology in Behavioral Science.
- Maheu was the Committee Chair and lead author of the first published competencies for telemental health and now serves as an expert witness in telehealth-related legal cases.
- Dr. Maheu has served on a dozen professional association committees and task forces related to telemental health to assist with developing telehealth and technology standards, guidelines, and other consensus documents.
- A strong proponent of interprofessional telehealth training, Dr Maheu has developed more than 80 hours of Master Class training in the form of LIVE and on-demand telehealth CME, CNE, and CE hours through Telehealth.org.
Watch the short video below to learn more about Dr. Marlene Maheu
A pioneer and industry leader, Dr. Maheu will help your organization develop a strategic plan to meet the unique needs of your setting and the population you serve. Drawing on resources developed over the decades, she will help you comply with requirements, give you a competitive edge, and choose the right technologies to get the job done without needless complications.
Keynoter, Speaker & Trainer
Dr. Maheu combines 21st Century technology solutions with real-life examples, whether she delivers her keynote or workshop in-person, or virtually. She will inspire, amuse, and empower your audience with actionable strategies with the clinical wisdom that only develops with diligence over time.
A favorite telehealth speaker for hospitals, clinics, agencies, start-up companies, industry conferences, universities, associations as well as private training groups, Dr. Maheu has the breadth of experience to make your event a success. Whether national or international, medical or behavioral, you and your group will be delighted.
Marlene Maheu, PhD Publications
Search for your topics
of interest in Dr. Maheu’s
Having practiced for more than 35 years in San Diego, Dr. Maheu’s breadth of experience as a dually-licensed California C/MFT and Licensed Psychologist are reflected in her research and speaking.
What the Community Is Saying about Marlene Maheu, PhD
See what your colleagues are saying about Telehealth.org and Dr. Marlene Maheu.
Dr. Maheu is psychology’s telehealth visionary, leading our colleagues through professional training in ethics and innovative technologies since the mid-90’s.
Pat DeLeon, PhD, MPH, JD
Telehealth.org provided invaluable research and consultation to help us develop innovative telebehavioral solutions for one of our fortune 100 Hi-Tech clients. We were very impressed as were our clients.
Marlene is a true innovator in bringing technology to the mental health field. Her books are a must and I recommend them to my students.
President/CEO – Masi Research Consultants Inc.
For nearly 20 years Marlene has been the leader in thought, training, and advocacy regarding the impact of technology on mental health professions.
The Telehealth.org provides all of the essential training needed. Courses are unsurpassed, unique, and contain everything one needs to know in order to start practicing. Upon completing this training, a provider is “ready to go.”
I wanted to establish a task force on ‘new media,’ but only if Marlene Maheu, a long-time leader in telepsychology, would agree to be its chair. She did, and the task force exceeded my highest hopes.”