Telebehavioral / Telemental Health Training & Certificate Programs
Choose from three telemental health / telebehavioral health professional training programs designed for hospitals, clinics, agencies, small group and independent practices seeking to establish, assess or improve a telemental health or telebehavioral health practice.
- Understand and easily implement legal and ethical strategies to manage your risk
- Choose the appropriate HIPAA-compliant technology to best meet the needs of the population you serve
- Conduct a proper informed consent process to fully protect all parties
- Be prepared to anticipate, prevent and handle emergencies online
- Update your documentation with telehealth-specific requirements
- Increase your reimbursement with current billing strategies
- Obtain competency-based, in-depth, specific training (do’s and don’ts)
- Train at your own pace — available 24/7
- Access your training anytime, anywhere, 100% online
- Reach more clients, lower your overhead, and earn higher profits
|1. Learn Everything Online
No Book Purchase Necessary
|2. Pass Post Tests Online
Print CE Certificates
|3. Deliver Services Online
Enjoy the Convenience
Frequently Asked Questions:
Click questions below for detailed answers. (Note: “telemental health” and “telebehavioral health” terms are used interchangeably)
TBHI’s training programs are designed for beginning and intermediate-level “telepractitioners” and “telesupervisors” wishing to deliver telebehavioral health services in these disciplines:
- Addictions Specialists / Telehealth
- Counseling / Distance Counseling
- Nursing / Tele-Nursing
- Occupational Therapy / Tele-Occupational Therapy
- Psychiatry / Telepsychiatry
- Psychology / Telepsychology
- Social Work / Telehealth
- Speech and Language Therapy / Tele-Speech and Language Therapy
- Therapy / Online Therapy
- Other Tele-Therapies, including but not limited to:
- Internists, Pediatricians, Gerontologists, Physician Assistants, Physical Therapists, Nurse Practitioners, Dietitians, Behavioral Analysts, CEOs, COOs, Administrators, Billing & Coding Staff
The Level I Certificate package is best for you if you work within an agency setting that is already organized to legally and ethically deliver telebehavioral /telemental health (telepsychiatry, telepsychology, distance counseling etc.). This training will provide you with a prudent yet exciting look at legal, ethical and clinical guidance about how to get started and deliver direct care via telephone and videoconferencing. This training package is for you if your organization has dealt with the difficult legal, ethical policy issues, and you just want to understand your basic legal and ethical requirements. It is the program of choice for you if you are seeking an easy, convenient way to think through the large issues to delivering behavioral care by telephone and video. It includes several extensive check-lists that will help you get and stay organized. This program provides you with a Certificate that will distinguish you as a true telebehavioral professional.
The Level II Certificate package is best for you if you need to develop a telepractice program of your own, without an information technology department, legal office, billing or clinical staff to help you think through the issues and their relevance to your setting and the population you treat.
The Level II Certificate package will help you decide whether or not to use videoconferencing, email, text-messaging and other technologies, set up your virtual office to follow current telepractice guidelines and learn how to get paid for your services. It will help you choose your most appropriate private, secure technology that meets your federal and state law, and yet find the functionalities that you need to meet the specific needs of the population you serve. It will give you an understanding of how you to develop appropriate clinical protocols, documentation (e.g. intake, informed consent, and termination documents) with reference to the specific technological modalities you choose. It will help you develop and implement your emergency plans, build them into your informed consent processes and have clinically appropriate relationships with providers in your client/patient’s local community to confidently handle emergencies and crises. The Level II Certificate package program will also guide you to finding and contracting with a malpractice carrier that will maximally help you manage risk. It gives you the competencies required by legal and ethical bodies, which include individual state boards, provincial and professional associations. After completing this training, you will be well on your way to feeling both competent and confident about handling a wide variety of challenging situations posed by delivering telemental health and telebehavioral health care.
The Level II Certificate package training program then, is designed for the hospital, clinic, agency, or group administrator and individual practitioner who is responsible for program design and implementation. It provides a true roadmap for how to get started with technical, clinical, legal and ethical policy decisions as well as practical program implementation. Numerous case examples, checklists, sample documents and much more are available for you to maximize your time and effort. This program provides you with a Certificate that will distinguish you as an advance telehealth professional.
- Enjoy an exciting, convenient eLearning environment to access courses anytime, anywhere with an Internet connection
- All courses are self-paced, well-written and evidence-based, with summaries, checklists and clear “to-dos”
- Courses are offered in written form (text) with video and audio for illustration
- 30-day, 100% money-back guarantee
- All training included in the Level I Certificate package is included in the Level II Certificate package
- You are invited to take the training modules in any order you deem appropriate
TBHI’s professional training is offered both 100% online and in-person. TBHI’s online coursework gives you access 24/7. You will receive a rich, multimedia platform to enhance your enjoyment and learning retention.
- Most of the training is written, following optimal instructional design principles of text-based information with links to primary and secondary source documents, interspersed with images, audio, and video segments to punctuate an important point.
- All video segments follow American Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements for being available with captions or a transcript.
- To help improve learning comprehension and retention, “Essential Points” in the form of bullet points are provided at the top of many pages, to help you initially grasp the important issues, and give you clues as to which specific topics are considered important enough to re-address in the post-tests.
- The training is also annotated with footnotes to give you the inside story on a number of important issues.
- Courses are self-paced, meaning that you can stop and start it at your convenience.
- A PDF format is available if you’d like to carry it with you to read as you move about your world.
- TBHI training is self-directed, in that it contains a number of high-quality links to primary source documents throughout the Internet that we’ve assembled for your convenience and to maximize your learning.
- The training content has been highly edited by more than 100 reviewers who are professionals in the field, so you can trust that it is accurate, well written and easy-to-comprehend.
- TBHI’s professional training has received many accolades from colleagues, who appreciate our optimized instructional design format as well as the richness of content and superior customer support. To see these comments, look at this testimonial page.
- You can also print your own Certificate from our website.
Completing the TBHI training will require approximately the same number of CE hours offered with each course. A 6-hour course then, will take about 6 hours to complete, depending on how quickly you read. A one-hour course typically involves approximately 10,000 words, minus the words involved with presenting audio and video segments. The course evaluation and post-test will require that you come back into the website to respond to a series of questions. Post-test need to be passed with a grade of 80% or better to get the course completion certificate. (You will have learned a lot, and passing should be no problem. Of more than 7,000 trainees that have come through our doors, only three needed help with post-tests.
- Take all courses and pass post-tests online
- Print your Course Completion Certificate immediately at your desktop for your licensing board
- Contact us for a check of your program completion, and we will send you your TBHI Telebehavioral Health Practitioner Certificate to proudly display
Social Workers, Marriage & Family Therapists, Counselors & Nurses are formally approved in California and approved by most other states, by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS). See Continuing Education information below.
*Service Mark Pending
**This designation is limited to 3 years. After 3 years, you may renew your designation with 6 hours of TBHI approved training.
Continuing Education Approvals (for most States & Provinces)
Psychologists — American Psychological Association (APA)
Telebehavioral Health Institute is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Telebehavioral Health Institute maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Social Workers — Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB)
The Telebehavioral Health Institute, Inc. (TBHI), provider #1328, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Telebehavioral Health Institute, Inc. maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 11/18/2016 – 11/18/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Please note that ASWB does not award CE Hours for training related to marketing.
Addiction Professionals — NAADAC, the Association for Addiction Professionals (NAADAC)
The Telebehavioral Health Institute, Inc. (TBHI) is officially on file with NAADAC, the Association for Addiction Professionals (NAADAC) as an Approved Education Provider. TBHI has been approved as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider. NAADAC Provider #159459, Telebehavioral Health Institute, is responsible for all aspects of their programing.
Counselors — National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC)
The Telebehavioral Health Institute, Inc. (TBHI) has been approved by National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) as an Approved Continuing Education Provider. ACEP No. 6708. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC Credit are clearly identified. TBHI is solely responsible for all aspects of the program.
CE Broker is a continuing education tracking system in which licensees track their compliance and report their completed CEs. The Telebehavioral Health Institute (TBHI) encourages trainees to use the Self-Report system in CE Broker, as TBHI does not report to CE Broker on behalf of trainees.
Click here for instructions on how to self-report to CE Broker.
California Social Workers, Marriage & Family Therapists, Counselors & Nurses — California Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS)
When California MFTs, LCSWs and LPCCs turn in certificates to the California Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS), they will accept the CE credit hours based on TBHI’s APA approval.
The Telebehavioral Health Institute, Inc. (TBHI) has partnered with Alliant International University to bring you Continuing Education for the training you complete at TBHI. Alliant is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing to provide continuing education for Nurses (provider #CEP11235). Alliant maintains responsibility for the program and its content.
— NOTE —
Please verify the appropriateness of TBHI training for your needs by contacting your state/provincial board or your state/provincial professional organization. Some state and provincial regulations are in flux, complex and can be confusing. Some require additional documentation. Some states restrict the number of CE hours you can complete online. TBHI is does not accept responsibility for being aware of or meeting your state’s regulatory or licensing requirements.
TBHI Training has also been approved for AMA CME Hours. Contact us for details.