Telebehavioral / Telemental Health Training & Certificate Programs
Choose from three telemental health / telebehavioral health professional training programs designed for hospitals, clinics, agencies, small group and independent practices seeking to establish, assess or improve a telemental health or telebehavioral health practice.
- Understand and easily implement legal and ethical strategies to manage your risk
- Choose the appropriate HIPAA-compliant technology to best meet the needs of the population you serve
- Conduct a proper informed consent process to fully protect all parties
- Be prepared to anticipate, prevent and handle emergencies online
- Update your documentation with telehealth-specific requirements
- Increase your reimbursement with current billing strategies
- Obtain competency-based, in-depth, specific training (do’s and don’ts)
- Train at your own pace — available 24/7
- Access your training anytime, anywhere, 100% online
- Reach more clients, lower your overhead, and earn higher profits
|1. Learn Everything Online
No Book Purchase Necessary
|2. Pass Post Tests Online
Print CME/CE Certificates
|3. Deliver Services Online
Enjoy the Convenience
Frequently Asked Questions:
Click questions below for detailed answers. (Note: “telemental health” and “telebehavioral health” terms are used interchangeably)
TBHI’s training programs are designed for beginning and intermediate-level “telepractitioners” and “telesupervisors” wishing to deliver telebehavioral health services in these disciplines:
- Addictions Specialists / Telehealth
- Counseling / Distance Counseling
- Nurse Practice / Telemedicine
- Nursing / Tele-Nursing
- Occupational Therapy / Tele-Occupational Therapy
- Physicians / Telemedicine
- Physician’s Assistants / Telemedicine
- Psychiatry / Telepsychiatry
- Psychology / Telepsychology
- Social Work / Telehealth
- Speech and Language Therapy / Tele-Speech and Language Therapy
- Therapy / Online Therapy
- Other Tele-Therapies, including but not limited to these groups of practitioners:
- Internists, Pediatricians, Osteopaths, Gerontologists, Physical Therapists, Dietitians, Behavior Analysts, CEOs, COOs, Administrators, Billing & Coding Staff
The Basic Training is best for you if you simply want to get a sense of whether telebehavioral /telemental health will be appropriate for you and the people you serve. This course is available either online or in-person at a variety of locations throughout the country. It is a quick 6-hour overview of key definitions, concepts, research and competency-based best practices for the field. For current in-person workshops, send an email request.
The Level I Certificate package is best for you if you work within an agency setting that is already organized to legally and ethically deliver telebehavioral /telemental health. This training will provide you with a prudent yet exciting look at legal, ethical and clinical guidance about how to get started and deliver direct care via telephone and videoconferencing. This training package is for you if your organization has dealt with the difficult legal, ethical policy issues, and you just want to understand your basic legal and ethical requirements as a practitioenr working under the policies developed by knowledgeable oversite staff members. It includes several extensive check-lists that will help you get and stay organized. This program provides you with a TBHI Certificate that will distinguish you as a telebehavioral professional.
The Level II Certificate package is best for you if you need to develop a telepractice without an information technology department, legal office, billing or clinical staff to help you think through the issues and their relevance to your setting and the population you treat.
The Level II Certificate package will introduce you to the competencies required for legal and ethical telepractice. It will:
- Explain fundamental terms, concepts and their definitions
- Help you choose your technology and its specialized features for video conferencing, email, text messaging and other technologies
- Practice legally and ethically over state lines and international borders
- Educate your client/patient about how to be safe when working with you online
- Understand HIPAA, your state laws and those of other states you wish to serve
- Help you establish appropriate screening protocols for carefully selecting appropriate clients/patients
- Give you an understanding of how to develop appropriate clinical protocols to adapt to specialized treatment (EMDR? DBT? Mindfulness?)
- Organize your documentation in ways that are manageable and in compliance with state and federal law as well as other oversight groups (e.g., Joint Commission, URAC, CARF)
- Develop and implement your emergency plans, build them into your informed consent processes and have clinically appropriate relationships to confidently handle emergencies and crises
- Set up your virtual office and desktop to follow current telepractice guidelines
- Get paid for your services, including Medicare and Medicaid as well as 3rd party carrier reimbursement.
- Develop your own templates for informed consent, intake, progress, termination, risk management notes to have reviewed by your attorney (Sample templates provided in level II training)
- How to interview and select an appropriate attorney for your telepractice
- Guide you to finding and contracting with a malpractice carrier to manage risk
After completing this training, you will be well on your way to feeling both competent and confident about handling a wide variety of challenging situations in telepractice. The Level II Certificate package training program then, is designed for the hospital, clinic, agency, or group administrator or program director. It is optimal for a small group or an individual practitioner who is responsible for program design and implementation. It provides a true roadmap for how to get started with technical, clinical, legal and ethical policy decisions as well as practical program implementation. Numerous case examples, checklists, sample documents and much more are available for you to maximize your time and effort. This program provides you with a Certificate that will distinguish you as an Advanced Telehealth Professional.
TBHI’s professional training is offered both 100% online and in-person. TBHI’s online eLearning, multi-media environment allows you to easily gain a comfortable, working knowledge of the evidence-based competencies for best practices for physicians, nurses, nurse practitioners, physician’s assistants, psychologists, social workers, marriage and family therapists, counselors, and behavioral analysts who wish to work in telepsychiatry, telepsych, telepsychology, distance counseling or online counseling, etherapy and online therapy (whatever you call it).
- Enjoy an exciting, 24/7, convenient online access to courses anytime and anywhere with an Internet connection
- All courses are self-paced, professionally developed and competency-based, with summaries, checklists and clear “to-dos”
- Courses are offered in written form (text) with video and audio segments for illustration
- 30-day, 100% money-back guarantee
- All training included in the Level I Certificate package is included in the Level II Certificate package
- You are invited to take the training modules in any order you deem appropriate
TBHI “classes” have no specific start and stop time. All online training is self-paced, accessible 24/7 through your web browser. You are free to train anytime, from anywhere. If your client/patient doesn’t show for their appointment, you can easily engage with your materials online, or in printed form. Printed training materials are available upon request in PDF format to conveniently travel with you on a plane, train, bus or simply as you lounge in your living room. If you wish to complete all your training in a weekend, a week, a month or over several months – the choice is yours. Courses require the amount of time offered for CE or CME. More specifically, a 6-CE or CME hour course will require 6 hours of the average trainee. Many TBHI trainees return to their materials over time to access materials for a variety of reasons. Checklists and summaries can be copied and printed. Video/audio segments require an active Internet connection. Course evaluations and post-tests must be completed online. All registrations have an access period of at least 6 months from date of purchase. Extended access is available at $45 for an additional 6 months.
TBHI’s online coursework gives you access 24/7. You will receive a rich, multimedia platform to enhance your enjoyment and learning retention.
- Most of the training is written, following optimal instructional design principles of text-based information with links to primary and secondary source documents, interspersed with images, audio, and video segments to punctuate an important point.
- All video segments follow American Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements for being available with captions or a transcript.
- To help improve learning comprehension and retention, “Essential Points” in the form of bullet points are provided at the top of many pages, to help you initially grasp the important issues, and give you clues as to which specific topics are considered important enough to re-address in the post-tests.
- The training is also annotated with footnotes to give you the inside story on a number of important issues.
- Courses are self-paced, meaning that you can stop and start it at your convenience.
- A PDF format is available if you’d like to carry it with you to read as you move about your world.
- TBHI training is self-directed, in that it contains a number of high-quality links to primary source documents throughout the Internet that we’ve assembled for your convenience and to maximize your learning.
- The training content has been highly edited by more than 100 reviewers who are professionals in the field, so you can trust that it is accurate, well written and easy-to-comprehend.
- TBHI’s professional training has received many accolades from colleagues, who appreciate our optimized instructional design format as well as the richness of content and superior customer support. To see these comments, look at this testimonial page.
- You can also print your own Certificate from our website.
Completing the TBHI training will require approximately the same number of CE or CME hours offered with each course. A 6-hour course then, will take about 6 hours to complete, depending on how quickly you read. A one-hour course typically involves approximately 10,000 words, minus the words involved with presenting audio and video segments. The course evaluation and post-test will require that you come back into the website to respond to a series of questions. Post-test need to be passed with a grade of 80% or better to get the course completion certificate. (You will have learned a lot, and passing should be no problem. Of more than 7,000 trainees that have come through our doors, only three needed help with post-tests.
All TBHI courses include CE or CME Hours (See Continuing Education or Continuing Medical Education section below).
- Take all courses and pass post-tests online
- Print your Course Completion Certificate immediately at your desktop for your licensing board
- Contact us for a check of your program completion, and we will send you your TBHI Telebehavioral Health Practitioner Certificate to proudly display
The New Jersey Association of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons (NJAOPS), American Psychological Association (APA), the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB), NAADAC, the Association for Addiction Professionals (NAADAC), the National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC) have approved CE or CME Hours for TBHI training. The American Medical Association (AMA) has approved the training in the past, but physicians registering for the program preferred to not obtain CMEs. As a result, CME availability is limited. Speak with us if you need it by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Social Workers, Marriage & Family Therapists, Counselors & Nurses are formally approved in California and approved by most other states, by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS). See Continuing Education or Continuing Medical Education information below.
Earn your certificate as a TBHI Certified Telebehavioral Health Practitioner*. This designation** is increasingly used to recognize our graduates for having completed the most comprehensive and research-based post-graduate training program available anywhere today.
*Service Mark Pending
**This designation is limited to 3 years. After 3 years, you may renew your designation with 6 hours of TBHI approved training.
Absolutely! Start with reviewing the list of TBHI’s specialized training programs listed here and write to us for pricing.
Absolutely. We give you a 100%, money-back guarantee if for any reason you are not satisfied with your purchase within 30 days, as long as you have not yet created any CE certificate(s) to send to your licensing board, and/or not obtained a TBHI Certificate. We stand behind our training 100% and aim to deliver more than we promise. Just send an email our Contact Center if you would like a refund, and please reference the receipt number from your purchase. If on the other hand, you simply want to get help with a course you purchased, be sure to mention the name of the course and supply us with your telephone number, in case your email address is non-responsive.
Add any training item to your cart. Near the end of the checkout process, select PayPal as your payment option. (PayPal will allow you to use your preferred currency in most cases. If you need assistance with currency equivalence or discounted rates for international training, please contact us.)
Continuing Education or Continuing Medical Education Approvals (for most States & Provinces)
Physicians, Nurses, Nurse Practitioners & Physician’s Assistants
NJAOPS is dedicated in reminding and enhancing physicians’ knowledge to manage the changing needs of the healthcare system. These evidence-based educational lectures are structured to augment physician expertise with current guidelines, materials and recommendations, as well as up-to-date advances in medical treatment on specific topics.
New Jersey Association of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing education for DO physicians. NJAOPS designates these educational activities for Category 1-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
Physician (AMA) Accreditation Statement: NJAOPS is accredited by the Medical Society of New Jersey to provide continuing medical education for physicians. NJAOPS designates live or online activity for AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™.
Health Professionals: Participants may claim hours to receive a Certificate of Participation for an activity designated for AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™.
Method of Participation:
For successful completion of activity and subsequent awarding of credits, individuals are required to participate in the entire activity and complete an attestation form, as well as an activity evaluation form.
Psychologists — American Psychological Association (APA)
Telebehavioral Health Institute is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Telebehavioral Health Institute maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Social Workers — Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB)
The Telebehavioral Health Institute, Inc. (TBHI), provider #1328, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Telebehavioral Health Institute, Inc. maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 11/18/2016 – 11/18/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Please note that ASWB does not award CE Hours for training related to marketing.
Addiction Professionals — NAADAC, the Association for Addiction Professionals (NAADAC)
The Telebehavioral Health Institute, Inc. (TBHI) is officially on file with NAADAC, the Association for Addiction Professionals (NAADAC) as an Approved Education Provider. TBHI has been approved as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider. NAADAC Provider #159459, Telebehavioral Health Institute, is responsible for all aspects of their programing.
Counselors — National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC)
The Telebehavioral Health Institute, Inc. (TBHI) has been approved by National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) as an Approved Continuing Education Provider. ACEP No. 6708. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC Credit are clearly identified. TBHI is solely responsible for all aspects of the program.
CE Broker is a continuing education tracking system in which licensees track their compliance and report their completed CEs. The Telebehavioral Health Institute (TBHI) encourages trainees to use the Self-Report system in CE Broker, as TBHI does not report to CE Broker on behalf of trainees.
Click here for instructions on how to self-report to CE Broker.
California Nurses — California Board of Registered Nurses (BRN)
The American Psychological Association (APA), the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB), NAADAC, the Association for Addiction Professionals (NAADAC), the National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC) have approved CE Hours for TBHI training. The American Medical Association (AMA) has approved the training for CMEs. Nurses are formally approved in California and approved by most other states through our co-sponsorship with Alliant University. See Continuing Education information here.
— NOTE —
Please verify the appropriateness of TBHI training for your needs by contacting your state/provincial board or your state/provincial professional organization. Some state and provincial regulations are in flux, complex and can be confusing. Some require additional documentation. Some states restrict the number of CE hours you can complete online. TBHI disavows responsibility for being aware of /meeting your state’s regulatory or licensing requirements.
TBHI Training has also been approved for AMA CME Hours. Contact us for details.