718W – To Skype or Not to Skype? Free and Low-Cost Alternatives
Recording available to view anytime, any place…
1-Hour “On Demand” Training Webinar recording
Are you familiar with the risks and benefits of using Skype? Do you worry about the fact that Skype is not HIPAA-compliant? Curious about affordable Skype alternatives and augmentations now available?
As the field of telehealth grows, so do the expectations of consumers, insurers, professional associations, licensing boards and malpractice carriers. Join Dr. Marlene Maheu as she gives an update on the current risks and benefits of using Skype. Learn how to evaluate the range of different video platforms, and become more confident in your ability to protect yourself and your clients from unwarranted threats to privacy and confidentiality.
- Explain why privacy protection is the #1 technology-related concern by practitioners, insurers and government agencies.
- Describe 2 reasons that the use of Skype by healthcare professionals is not “HIPAA-compliant
- Define “audit trails” and describe why are they important
- Define “breach notification tools” and describe why they important
- Identify 3 different HIPAA compliant alternative videoconferencing technologies
- Explain what it means to have a “Business Associate” agreement and how to get a company to sign one
- Explain how adherence to HIPAA & HITECH are relevant to both state law and ethical codes
- Name at least 1 resource to find HIPAA-compliant alternatives to Skype
This program is designed for:
- Counselors, Social Workers, Therapists, Marriage & Family Therapists, Drug & Alcohol Specialists
- Teachers and other Educational Professionals
- Home Health Care Professionals
- Medical Professionals such as Psychiatrists, Internists, Pediatricians, Gerontologists
- Psychologists, Physicians Assistants & Nurse Practitioners