WEBINAR – Text Messaging: 12 Risk Management Considerations To Keep You Out Of Hot Water
Almost 97% of Americans text daily – many having done so within the past hour – making texting the most common cell phone activity. Many are also reporting that they prefer text messages to phone calls (Pew Internet). Not surprisingly, therapists are finding that clients increasingly ask for interaction by text messaging.
This webinar will cover how to think about text messaging, several clinical issues related to text messaging and the little-known risk management issues that create safe, effective interaction. Dr. Maheu will outline 12 ways in which the following scenarios may expose you and your client or patient to undue risk, and help you decide how to handle them:
- You are outside of your office when your office manager calls you regarding a problem with your next scheduled appointment. You ask that the client’s phone number be sent to you in a text message, knowing that if you simply click the client’s phone number in your text message, the number will be dialed automatically. Your cell phone will thus spare you the time and effort of writing the number down first, then dialing. But is your text-messaging HIPAA-compliant?
- In a session, you and your patient develop 2 key self-statements she can use when overwhelmed by the current loss of a relationship. She texts you several days later, and asks you to please text her self-statements because she forgot them. What do you do? How do you document this event?
- Fully recorded and available 24/7
- Watch/listen and see slides again anytime for 6 months from registration date
- Get immediate access upon registration
- 1 CE Hour Available
- List at least four relevant ethical codes that relate to text messaging
- Intelligently discuss privacy and confidentiality of texting
- Identify the relevance of HIPAA & HITECH in relation to smartphones
- List texting security suggestions and possible platforms to consider for secure texting
- Name three ways to deal with stolen cell phones or portable devices
- Discuss boundaries and other safety tips for text messaging clients
Dr. Maheu has been a leader in telemental health since 1994. With four textbooks, dozens of book chapters and journal articles to her name, as well as having educated more than 15,000 clinicians, she is in a unique position to guide you or your organization in finding a maximally profitable niche in this rapidly expanding market. For this webinar, she will be building on information she presented at the 2015 American Telemedicine Association Conference titled,”Delivering Great Care, Getting Paid, and Avoiding Legal Problems,” where she focused on startup mistakes most often made by telemental health businesses. She is a master at getting to the point and answering your questions with clear, actionable, evidence-based suggestions that will move you to your goal both quickly and accurately.
This program is for beginning and intermediate-level “telepractitioners” and “telesupervisors” wishing to deliver telemental health services in these disciplines:
- Psychiatrists, Internists, Pediatricians, Gerontologists, Nurses, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners
- Psychologists, Counselors, Social Workers, Therapists, Marriage & Family Therapists
- Speech Pathologists, Dietitians, Occupational Therapists, Behavioral Analysts, Substance Use Professionals
- CEOs, COOs, Administrators, Billing & Coding Staff
- Webinar video recording
- Presentation slides
- Webinar handout
- Access to the power and interactivity of the most cutting-edge technology available today for learning (login is required)
- Ability to take your post-test and course evaluation online
- Access to TMHI Community Forum to ask related questions
- Program is approved for 1 CE Hour, applied toward state requirements for Legal/Ethical CEs with APA, NBCC and a variety of other CE-approval providing groups. (To confirm with your licensing board that they accept our CE provider status, you can find our provider information at telehealth.org/ces. If you have any questions, contact us.)
- Printable course completion certificate for your licensing board
- Full customer support
- 100% money-back guarantee for 30 days!