Legally & Ethically Recommending Apps for your Clients & Patients
1 CE Hour Available
As an ethical professional, which criteria are you using to recommend behavioral “apps”?
While most of us have been taught how to recommend books, TV and movies in our clinical work, technology adds a new layer of complexities. Many professionals don’t know how to best use apps in ways that keep clients/patients safe. They aren’t clear about how to think about an app that sends someone an unexpected email with a subject title that clearly reveals the content (“anger management therapy”). They aren’t clear about the appropriateness of an app that claims that is uses an evidence-based theory (“CBT”), but has no evidence-base of its own.
Professionals may not know about using different software to download app content on to a computer, or to drop that app content into a patient record. They aren’t sure what to do when the patient loses their phone upon which they have been keeping a “diary” for therapy purposes. The relevance of HIPAA, HITECH, informed consent and behavioral apps are murky for many professionals.
This webinar outlines what can go wrong and how to make sure that our clients and patients are not harmed by our behavioral app recommendations. It will clarify 7 dimensions that can help you be confident in recommending behavioral apps to clients.
The webinar will also describe how apps can safely include “alerts” related to individual care plans (e.g. when to take medication, GPS indicators for drug use risk areas); wearable technologies (e.g., Fitbit, Jawbone, Basis watch, Google watch); remote sensors for Heart Rate Variability (HRV) ; artificial intelligence; the Internet of Things; and how they all relate to the Quantified Self for behavioral healthcare.
The webinar will be presented by Dr. Marlene Maheu, whose grasp of the big picture, in-depth knowledge of technology and lighthearted style makes her presentations highly informative as well as enjoyable :)
Event Details: Legally & Ethically Recommending Apps for your Clients & Patients Webinar
- Where: 100% Online
- Fully recorded and available 24/7 after the event to review anytime for 6 months from registration date
- What: Live & recorded event includes access, slides, and handout
- Cost: FREE or upgrade to 1-CE hour for $35
- Identify 7 key principles to risk management for recommending apps
- Identify 3 ways to prevent privacy issues with apps
- Determine what to include in your informed consent process when suggesting apps
- Define the term, “evidence-based app”
- Explain what it means to have a “Business Associate Agreement” and when to ask for one with an app
- Name at least 1 resource to find apps that are of relevance to the people you serve
Dr. Maheu has been an industry leader in telebehavioral health since 1994. With four textbooks, dozens of book chapters and journal articles to her name, as well as having educated more than 20,000 clinicians, she is in a unique position to guide you or your organization in finding a maximally profitable niche in this rapidly expanding market. She has given more than 400 professional presentations is a master at getting to the point and answering your questions with clear, actionable, evidence-based suggestions both quickly and accurately.
This program is for beginning and intermediate-level “telepractitioners” and “telesupervisors” wishing to deliver telemental health services in these disciplines:
- Psychiatrists, Internists, Pediatricians, Gerontologists, Nurses, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners
- Psychologists, Counselors, Social Workers, Therapists, Marriage & Family Therapists
- Speech Pathologists, Dietitians, Occupational Therapists, Behavioral Analysts, Substance Use Professionals
- CEOs, COOs, Administrators, Billing & Coding Staff
- Webinar video recording, presentation slides, and webinar handout
- Access to the power and interactivity of the most cutting-edge technology available today for learning (login is required)
- Ability to take your post-test and course evaluation online
- Printable course completion certificate for your licensing board
- Access to TMHI Community Forum to ask related questions
- Full customer support
- 100% money-back guarantee for 30 days!
- This program is approved for 1 CE Hour, applicable toward state requirements for Legal/Ethical Continuing Education. TBHI is approved by several CE-approval providing groups to sponsor CE Hours. Please review our provider information at telehealth.org/continuing-education. (We recommend you confirm with your licensing board that they accept our CE provider status. If you have any questions, please contact us.)
FREE: (Register with Enrollment Key: APPS)
1 CE-Hour Webinar
No Risk – 100% 30-Day Satisfaction Guarantee
PayPal International Currencies Accepted
*Multiple discounts do not apply