Text Messaging and Behavioral Practice: 12 Risk Management Considerations To Keep You Out Of Hot Water
1 CE Hour Available
Fully 97% of smartphone owners used text messaging at least once over the course of the study period, making it the most widely-used basic feature or app; it is also the feature that is used most frequently, as the smartphone owners in this study reported having used text messaging in the past hour in an average of seven surveys (out of a maximum total of 14 across the one-week study period). (Pew Internet). Not surprisingly, therapists are finding that clients increasingly ask for interaction by text messaging.
As industry leaders in the legal and ethical issues surrounding telebehavioral health service delivery, the Telebehavioral Health Institute will cover risk management when using text messaging including security issues, legalities and ethics of using text messaging with behavioral services, and HIPAA-compliant text messaging. Dr. Maheu will outline 12 ways in which the following scenarios may expose you and your client or patient to undue risk, and help you decide how to handle them:
- You are outside of your office when your office manager calls you regarding a problem with your next scheduled appointment. You ask that the client’s phone number be sent to you in a text message, knowing that if you simply click the client’s phone number in your text message, the number will be dialed automatically. Your cell phone will thus spare you the time and effort of writing the number down first, then dialing. But are you using HIPAA-compliant text messaging? What are HIPAA text messaging solutions?
- In a session, you and your patient develop 2 key self-statements she can use when overwhelmed by the current loss of a relationship. She texts you several days later, and asks you to please text her self-statements because she forgot them. What are the ethics of using text in behavioral health practice? How do you document this event?
Event Details: Text Messaging and Behavioral Practice: 12 Risk Management Considerations To Keep You Out Of Hot Water Webinar
- Where: 100% Online
- Fully recorded and available 24/7 after the event to review anytime for 6 months from registration date
- What: Live & recorded event includes access, slides, and handout
- Cost: $35 (includes 1-CE Hour)
- List at least four relevant ethical codes that relate to text messaging
- Intelligently discuss privacy and confidentiality of texting
- Identify the relevance of HIPAA & HITECH in relation to smartphones
- List texting security suggestions and possible platforms to consider for secure texting
- Name three ways to deal with stolen cell phones or portable devices
- Discuss boundaries and other safety tips for text messaging clients
Dr. Maheu has been an industry leader in telebehavioral health since 1994. With four textbooks, dozens of book chapters and journal articles to her name, as well as having educated more than 20,000 clinicians, she is in a unique position to guide you or your organization in finding a maximally profitable niche in this rapidly expanding market. She has given more than 400 professional presentations is a master at getting to the point and answering your questions with clear, actionable, evidence-based suggestions both quickly and accurately.
This program is for beginning and intermediate-level “telepractitioners” and “telesupervisors” wishing to deliver telemental health services in these disciplines:
- Psychiatrists, Internists, Pediatricians, Gerontologists, Nurses, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners
- Psychologists, Counselors, Social Workers, Therapists, Marriage & Family Therapists
- Speech Pathologists, Dietitians, Occupational Therapists, Behavioral Analysts, Substance Use Professionals
- CEOs, COOs, Administrators, Billing & Coding Staff
- Webinar video recording, presentation slides, and webinar handout
- Access to the power and interactivity of the most cutting-edge technology available today for learning (login is required)
- Ability to take your post-test and course evaluation online
- Printable course completion certificate for your licensing board
- Access to TMHI Community Forum to ask related questions
- Full customer support
- 100% money-back guarantee for 30 days!
- This program is approved for 1 CE Hour, applicable toward state requirements for Legal/Ethical Continuing Education. TBHI is approved to sponsor continuing education by the APA, ASWB, NAADAC and NBCC, as well as a variety of other CE-approval providing groups. (To confirm with your licensing board that they accept our CE provider status, you can find our provider information at telehealth.org/continuing-education. If you have any questions, please contact us.)
No Risk – 100% 30-Day Satisfaction Guarantee
PayPal International Currencies Accepted
*Multiple discounts do not apply